Wednesday, 19 January 2011

Pro-Ana.

This is undoubtedly going to be a two-parter, because I have a lecture in 21 minutes and I have many a thought on this one. I think my first thought is probably about the stupidity. How many of my followers are pro-Ana? It's like they see the title of my blog and presume it's something foody. Which, fair enough, it's called this because it's something I got told A LOT when I was in in-patient treatment. Then they clock on, spot the term 'eating disordered' in my little blurb thing, and then never read my blog again.

I don't mind people following my blog. No, I LIKE people following my blog. People I know and people I don't. And even the pro-Ana lot joining- I don't mind, just don't expect that I'm going to follow you, let's not be myspace about this. I just don't see the point when you're looking for pictures of Mary-Kate, following a blog that is all about my struggle to recover. I think it actually sort of takes the piss.

Good luck with your quest for skinny. Good look in pinning down that elusive diagnosis. Getting all the boys to fancy you and all the girls to be jealous of the fact that you can poke their eyes out with your hipbones. Walking in the snow without leaving a foot print, weaving in between rain drops. Whatever, I don't care. Maybe you will eventually get an eating disorder- you enjoy that. Just don't expect any help in your quest from me.

2 comments:

  1. I went through a "pro-ana" phase when i first got the internet, 11 or 12 years ago. I had already been sick, diagnosably so, for at least 4 years prior (bulimia, ugh) so for me it was just this amazing realization that I WASN'T THE ONLY ONE!!!! and we all acted like little cheerleaders towards each other's quest towards bones and death. it was sick, yeah, but in a way it was so much more innocent than it is now. none of this sick "real girl thinspo" that people feed from. it's disheartening at best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, this is why I have so many feelings on this one- because I used the communities too, when I was 13 or 14 and also diagnosably sick and had the same feeling of solidarity. And although they didn't help my disorder, they sure as hell kept me alive, for that period. It's just the people on there who ARE just looking to lose weight, who don't realise what a disorder is. The girls who need this thinspo shite, and to fast with other people. The girls who ask for help to stop themselves eating. I can't help but feel that I'm being used as a deliberate trigger.

    ReplyDelete