Tuesday, 31 December 2013

Stolen lines on the new year.

A friend of mine has come up with some amazing words on the year and those to come. I don't really do re-posts and stuff like that, so you know what will follow will be good; it's proper got me thinking. He wrote everything I didn't know that I felt, until reading it, and that's the beautifully powerful thing about the written word, I reck. But enough of me, here's to Johno Challis and his wisdom, to end the year. Have a beaut one, everyone-

When I think back to the beginning of this year, I'd barely just covered from an essentially mental breakdown a couple of years earlier, and had very little job prospect. I was sitting there counting the pennies and change given to me whilst performing, hoping it would rack up to enough to pay for decent food and to enjoy my life a bit, it was tight, but i was happy. 

It just goes to show how much difference one year can really make, people are so quick to shun off a year as a "bad year" and "hope next year is different", why? A year is a period of time. A year is not a ticket, or token to a better life. What makes your life better will be what you do in that year, what you accomplish or what you challenge yourself to do.

Sure, sit there and make a new years resolution you may not follow through. Sit there and wish 2014 is a better year, place your reliance on external factors to make your year better, your life better,

or take life by its metaphorical balls and change it. If you don't like something, change it now. Want to quit smoking? Stub out that cigarette now, don't wait until midnight. Wan't to diet? start now. Learn a new language? Start now and see it through. 

And it's for this reason I never make a resolution at new year, and i'm sure as hell not expecting 2014 to be a completely happy and positive experience. Life is like photography; you need the negatives to develop.

I don't know what life will look like this time next year, but what I do know is this:
Life has 2 rules. 
1/ Never quit
2/ Remember rule number 1

Happy new year everybody.

2 comments:

  1. I'm with you about no resolutions... I make goals within the year as needed... I hope this a great year for you Rebecca (nothing is ever perfect)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really wonderfully written - your friend has got it spot on x

    ReplyDelete