Wednesday, 2 September 2015

An open letter to Chrissie Hynde and Loose Women

I originally wrote this on Facebook, in response to Chrissie Hynde's comments on the victim being responsible for their own rape. I thought this was 2015, but apparently not. I'm ever the optimist and thought... I'm not really sure what I thought, given I once got thrown out of a stand up comedy show at uni, because I lost my shit at the woman on stage singing a pleasant little ditty about a paedophile uncle because OH MY GOD NOTHING IS FUNNIER. Educate yourself and Jesus, don't do a Loose Women and ask- because it's seriously NOT a question- whether or not a person can ever be responsible for their own rape. There is consensual sex between two adults and there is rape. So this is for anybody who thought there was a grey area, Loose Women viewer, Chrissie Hynde fan, or just your average moron.

An open letter to Chrissie Hynde and Loose Women

Below is a picture of me aged 3. Pretty cute, right?

It's also around the same time I was first sexually abused.

Now, forgive me, but I'm not entirely sure what my outfit would have been on that first occasion- it became a frequent affair- but this was pretty much my uniform back then. I know blonde hair and knee high socks can be thought of as quite sexy, but you know something?

An opinion on a form of clothing is more a reflection on your values, than it is on the values of the person wearing them. A piece of clothing is asexual. The naked body is just another animal skin. Anybody who viewed this outfit on me as sexy was seriously disturbed.

The thing is, even if I'd been parading around my estate in fishnets and a bikini, THE FAULT WOULD HAVE BEEN WITH THE RAPISTS, NOT WITH ME. Even if I'd been naked, it wouldn't have been my fault. Even if I'd been older. I could have been an adult in a micro skirt and no bra and it would not have been my fault.

It's taken me a long time to be able to say this all, thanks to people like you. But you know what? Fuck you. It wasn't my fault. Rape occurs when there is a rapist. Rape is caused by rapists. There's not much more to it than that.

Not so hard, eh?
Rebecca.


1 comment:

  1. Rebecca my dear, I read this on your Facebook and I could not have agreed with you more then as I do right now... rape is NOT the fault of the person being raped, it is with the rapists. I tire of hearing what happened to that person that they would rape a child/woman... I don't care as I know many people whose lives were ruined by this act and they did NOT go on to rape others... You and all people who were raped are NOT to blame and anyone that thinks it is our fault is highly disturbed and should get some much needed counseling...

    ReplyDelete