Friday, 1 April 2016

Scales.

Confession: today I dragged out my scales, dusted them off, and decided that I can't handle the meds weight gain any more. Don't worry, I then stole a pack of Minstrels off my mum (sorry mum) and decided that I don't really care to know my weight. There are many, many things that my scales can't tell me and that I'm not really interested in the few things that they can tell me.

Here are the top 5 things they never told me-

1. You can be glorious sunshine, but dancing in the rain is also fun. I'm loved, I'm liked, I'm tolerated, I'm disliked, I'm hated. Hopefully all by different people, but whatever. It's like my mum always says to me, 'you don't like everyone, so why does everyone have to like you?' A bit of metal and plastic can't measure the depth of feeling you evoke and will never love you like the world might.

2. Nobody cares about what your scales have to say. Here's the kicker- you can spend hours working out and weighing your food, but truth is nobody cares. Sure, people want you to be healthy and happy, but people only equate weight loss with happiness when it comes to themselves. I can't say I've ever met someone going through shit and thought it'd all be lovely for them if they were emaciated.

3. You will always be great at some things and terrible at others. I'm great at academic writing and terrible at running. I'm pretty good at maths and pretty awful at catching anything more handy than a cold. It's the same for everybody. Not everything is for everyone. Oh, and losing weight is nobody one's number one talent. Trust me on this, you are more capable of greatness than you know.

4. When you can't trust yourself, trust other people before you trust your scales. Ideally, you should love yourself and trust your worth. But I'd be lying if I said I found that easy or even possible on tough days. Instead, I find myself relying on other people- I'm a work in progress on this. But still, I know I'm loved and I trust people more than my scales. My scales have never told me they loved me.

5. Life is complicated and that's how it ought to be. As much as life is sometimes cruel to everyone, sometimes it's really bloody great. Your scales might simplify your thinking and narrow down your world, but that's not life. It's not simple. It shouldn't be simple. Too simple and you miss the great things as well as the tough ones.

I'd be lying if I said my scales have never taught me anything, mind. Here's a quick run through-

1. My gravitational force. Through the years, I've been able to measure my relationship with gravity. Wahoo. Important stuff.

So yeah, that's about it.

On balance, there is no balance. Scales have a place, but that's only really in hospital, I reckon. My scales have no place at all.

2 comments:

  1. This is important and I think I'm going to print it out and hang it in my bathroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree that scales shouldn't rule our lives... losing weight will never make you happy, you always need to be happy with yourself and if you are, losing a great deal of weight is not something you need to do.. You are very wise Rebecca xox

    ReplyDelete